Student eligibility requirements
体育直播站the mrc relies on residential eligibility checks undertaken by the research organisation. if you require advice on the eligibility of a student, you should contact your research organisation registrar's office.
candidates for an mrc-funded studentship must hold qualifications in a relevant subject at the level of, or equivalent to, a good honours degree from a uk academic institution. this should be a first or upper second class honours degree. qualifications (or a combination of qualifications and experience) which demonstrate equivalent ability and attainment should also be considered. for example, a less than sufficient first degree may be enhanced to meet the requirements by the acquisition of a masters degree to enhance the first degree, e.g. from 2(ii) to 2(i).
it is the responsibility of the registering institution to verify that candidates possess the relevant qualifications. they are also responsible for ensuring that qualifications obtained outside the uk are of an equivalent level to those quoted above.
Recruitment of international students
For all MRC-funded studentships, the research organisation must first take all reasonable steps to recruit a candidate who meets the above residence requirements. If this is not possible, then research councils have for studentships in key strategic areas to help meet employer’s needs. For MRC, the 'scarce strategic skills体育直播站' for which an exception may be considered include:
- Quantitative skills (mathematics, statistics, computation, developing digital excellence) as applied to variety of data sources (from ‘omics’ to health records)
- Interdisciplinary skills (at all interfaces including chemical/physical/engineering, social/economical and clinical, including for example imaging, health economics, antimicrobial resistance and translational medicine).
- Whole organism physiology (including in vivo training)
quantitative and other skills that can be considered a routine part of uk undergraduate training in biological, biomedical and health sciences are not sufficient.
体育直播站approval to advertise for international students must be sought by the research organisation prior to appointing the student, as detailed below.
Conditions for approval:
- The sought after skills must be critical to executing the PhD project and well-integrated with the students’ biomedical training and research.
- The student project must be aligned with MRC’s strategic priorities and with the programme of training agreed between the research organisation and MRC.
- The research organisation must be able to demonstrate:
- The demand for and career-destinations of previous PhD graduates in the relevant area (even if they were not MRC funded)
- Evidence of a shortage of high-quality UK candidates in relation to this demand
- The research organisation must be able to demonstrate that it needs to use MRC funds for this purpose.
Research organisations are required to seek permission from MRC prior to advertising the role to candidates who does not meet the normal residence requirements. To seek permission, complete the application to recruit an and email this to RFPD@headoffice.mrc.ac.uk.