the mrc centre for molecular bacteriology and infection, imperial college london, director: prof david holden
the overall goal of the centre is to cover research on bacterial pathogenesis, with significant critical mass to cover major areas of scientific interest and clinical importance.
the recently established epsrc interdisciplinary research centre in early warning sensing systems for infectious diseases, university college london, director: professor rachel mckendry
the centre vision is to engineer a new generation of disruptive sensing systems to diagnose, monitor and prevent the spread of infectious diseases such as major flu epidemics, mrsa and hiv
体育直播站ukcrc translational infection research initiative consortia, jointly funded by bbsrc, health and social care research and development, public health agency, northern ireland, mrc, nihr, cso, wales office of research and development for health and social care, welsh assembly government and wellcome trust and mrc-led. the initiative is fostering multi-disciplinary collaboration, boosting research infrastructure, and promoting training and career development in translational microbiology:
- , University of Oxford, Director: Prof Derrick Crook. The centre studies how infectious diseases are diagnosed, how infection is passed on, how we treat infections and how best to identify and control new outbreaks of infectious diseases
- , Imperial College London, Director: Prof Jonathan Friedland. The centre aims at tackling the issue of healthcare acquired infection via a multidisciplinary approach that includes organisational research, social marketing, epidemiology, laboratory-based programmes and education
- , University of Cambridge, Director: Prof Sharon Peacock. The aim of the centre is to bring rapid microbial genome sequencing into the heart of the diagnostic microbiology laboratory, in order to enhance patient care and to improve infection control and public health surveillance.
- , University of London, Director: Prof Tariq Sadiq. The aim of the centre is to provide microbiological and genomic expertise to support the translation of diagnostic research using clinically tested combinations of DNA-based and other molecular reporters into varied biosensor and sample processing devices.
the nerc centre for ecology and hydrology, oxford, director: professor mark j bailey. the centre supports modelling antibiotic usage during an influenza pandemic, molecular microbial ecology, understanding and predicting how microbial communities assemble and develop, predicting river water concentrations for four antibiotics.
this initiative supported two consortia totalling
- University of Cardiff (Prof Tim Walsh) and Canada (Prof Gary Dmitrienko)
- University of Warwick (Prof Chris Dowson) and Canada (Prof Anthony Clarke)
体育直播站bbsrc-funded norwich scientists are investigating sources of antibiotics including ants, stick insects, soil and potatoes. research carried out in prof bibb's laboratory has contributed to the progression of an antibiotic towards phase ii clinical trials by the jic spin-out company novacta biosystems.
procarta biosystems has developed a new type of anti-bacterial specifically to treat mrsa, and is currently collaborating with norwich medical school (university of east anglia, uea) to turn it into a nasal spray.
a project at the university of bath aimed at the development of novel antibacterial technology to reduce morbidity, mortality and healthcare costs due to bacterial wound / surgical site infections and infections of burns. this is in partnership with frenchay hospital and biocontrol ltd.
the mrc and the government of india department for biotechnology (dbt) have joined forces to fund three major global research centres. two of the centres will focus on research into antimicrobial resistance (amr):
- The Cambridge-Chennai Centre Partnership on Antimicrobial Resistant Tuberculosis
- UK-India Centre for Advanced Technology for Minimising the indiscriminate use of Antibiotics (UKICAT-MA)
MRC Grant Awards
our investments in antimicrobial resistance are broad, and can be found on the .